



# July 8, 2021

## Monthly Board Meeting Minutes

**GRSA Mission: To Promote Sailing in the Richmond, Virginia, Area.**

**Attendees:**

**Board Members**

- x **Chris Cookson**,  
Commodore
- x **Jill Reilly**,  
Vice Commodore
- x **Grant Smith**,  
Rear Commodore
- Dan Walsh**, Treasurer
- x **Joan Evans**, Secretary

- x **Mike Keeler**,  
Member at Large
- x **Michelle Leipold**,  
Member at Large
- x **Jay Malcan**,  
Member at Large
- x **Rocky Rochester**,  
Member at Large

**Committee Members**

- x **Grant Smith**,  
Membership
- x **Ruth McClintock**,  
Audit/Bylaws
- x **Charles Hunt**,  
Chaplain
- John Lew**,
- x **Pete Cookson**,  
Facilities/Boat Yard
- x **Dave Upton**,  
Races
- TBD**, Promotions
- Gerri Gallagher**,  
Pavilion
- Kate Gomes**,
- x **Chris Cookson**,  
Education
- x **Michelle Leipold**,
- Emily Gilbert**,  
Social

**ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED**

Item	Person Responsible	Time Allocated	Outcome
<b>Commodore calls meeting to order/opening remarks</b>	Chris Cookson	5 minutes	
<b>July Monthly Board Minutes – motion and approval</b>	Secretary	5 minutes	
<b>Board Reports</b>			
Treasurer Members at Large  Vice Commodore Rear Commodore Secretary	Dan Walsh Jay Malcan Michelle Leipold Rocky Rochester Mike Keeler Jill Reilly Grant Smith Joan Evans	45 minutes	
<b>Committee Reports</b>			
Membership Audit/By-Laws Chaplain Facilities Race Pavilion Promotions Sail Programs/Education Social	Grant Smith Ruth McClintock Charles Hunt Pete Cookson David Upton  Chris Cookson Michelle Leipold	60 minutes	

OLD BUSINESS/TASKS	PERSONS RESPONSIBLE	NOTES
The corner lot	Chris Cookson	
Neglected boats/Inactive members	Chris Cookson Jeff Butts	
Update on waiver language/insurance policy	Dan Walsh Jeff Butts	
Fun family social ideas	Chris Cookson	
Update on sunken boat and past member	Chris Cookson	
2021 T-Shirts	Grant Smith Michele Leipold	

NEW BUSINESS / TASKS	PERSONS RESPONSIBLE	NOTES
Discuss opening socials/club events to people on waitlist. Add them to email list so they are invited.	Chris Cookson	
Discuss lack of language in bylaws pertaining to Social Memberships and non-sailing craft/off-site boat storage.	Chris Cookson	

### Minutes

Meeting held on July 8, 2021  
GRSA pavilion  
Called to order at 7:02 p.m.

### Opening Remarks by Commodore

Chris Cookson:

Thank you to Kate Gomes who has done so much over the years and who leaves July 15, 2021.

Re July 4—According to a member on the wait list, Celebrations land has been sold to developers. Not a lot of info at this time.

We had the invitational--Low turnout but hope we can get more folks next year. Will work for championship race in the fall slated for Oct. 2 and 3, 2021.

Dan Walsh is not here although he sent financials out. He will report in August.

### Approval of Previous Monthly Meeting Minutes

Ruth McClintock made a motion to approve June 2021 meeting minutes as corrected.

Motion was seconded by Michelle Leipold.

None were opposed.

Minutes were approved as corrected.

### Commodore's Report

Chris Cookson:

Will provide report below.

### Treasurer Report

Dan Walsh:

Not in attendance.

Report submitted.

### **Members at Large**

Mike Keeler:

No report.

Jay Malcan:

Two weeks ago, ramp to playground fell apart. John and I fixed it.

Rocky Rochester:

No report.

### **Vice Commodore Report**

Jill Reilly:

No report.

### **Rear Commodore Report**

Grant Smith:

No report.

### **Secretary Report**

Joan Evans:

No report.

### **Membership Report**

Grant:

No report.

### **Audit/By-Laws Report**

Ruth McClintock:

No report.

### **Chaplain Report**

Charles Hunt:

No report.

### **Facilities Report**

John Lew:

Not in attendance.

Pete:

All except two new members have boats. Seven spots are available. Four are large. Other three are extremely small.

### **Race Committee Report**

Dave Upton:

I'm sitting on \$200 in cash but can't give to treasurer as of yet. Races are doing better. Ten racers and 100 eaters. Would like to hand out trophies as available at Christmas.

Racing in the Cove on Friday night. I will be here with grandkids. We will do for July and see if it catches on.

Regatta is Labor Day.

Chris: Pirate event is coming up.

### **Pavilion Report**

Gerri Gallagher:

Not in attendance.

## **Promotions Report**

Chris: I would like to have a tee shirt to sell for this year.

Michelle: I would like to help.

Ruth: Don't Lands' End and the like do this?

Chris: Hoodies too perhaps?

Grant: We currently have weird sizes; we need regular sizes.

## **Sail Programs Report**

Chris Cookson:

No numbers available yet, but camps are going well. One of the Optis needs work. It is Mark's boat and was used for sail camp by mistake and got damaged. I have not heard back from him as to how he would like to proceed. We could do a trade and could also buy the boat. Boat would pay for itself within three weeks with the camps.

Pete Cookson: Sunfish might be available.

Chris: I will pick up program but will need help.

## **Social Committee Report**

Michelle Leipold:

One hundred people registered and there were also 10 kids. Heard it went well.

We are set until the Pirate Regatta.

A movie night would not be hard to do if we want to do that.

Chris: Look at dates on calendar.

Chris: In October, we have district competitions the first weekend. Bruce Kozlowski is looking for dates for "Blue Sky," a community service opportunity, and we have offered Sept. 23 or Sept. 30 for this daytime event.

Chris: Champagne brunch on a Sunday is a possibility. Bring a dish or have pastries on hand. Mixers for Bloody Marys bar.

Chris: Columbus Day Regatta will be coming up in October.

Michelle: I will look into Pirate Regatta for Aug. 21.

## **Old Business**

### **Corner Lot**

Chris Cookson:

There is no update on that. We are in wait-and-see mode. Dan gave me some numbers based on different interest rates and timeframes. Discussion of getting the lot and opening up parking and membership is possible, but we need to not put cart before horse.

### **Neglected Boats/Inactive Members**

Jeff Butts:

Regarding neglected boats/inactive members—he talked to 15 clubs in the southeast as well as Alabama, Maryland, and Arkansas. How do we address neglected boats and avoid the junkyard look. A lot of clubs are hurting for money. In Columbus OH, we need the money so we don't make a big deal about it. James Island Yacht Club has 40 people on waiting list—they make everyone take boats off the lot in February and have them sign annual lease contract. In addition the boat has to be insured. In GA make people sign an indemnity clause. There's lots to think about. VA laws are different from laws of other states. For example, not having a fitted cover—one club has a retailer with license to sell fitted covers and avoid the graveyard look. Regarding participation, if people have a boat out there and let it go, they also don't tend to participate in other aspects of the club. One club has a dock master who can keep an eye on things. Some have a compliance officer who can ask, "If you're not in compliance, how can we help you out with that?" Regarding costs such as membership fees—some had them available to give to us while others did not. Average membership fee is \$750. Dry storage is \$300. Clubs have differences with deference to age of some members. Brandermill charges \$1,100. Storage facilities would charge anywhere from \$1,300 to \$1,500 for a 20 foot boat. You have to prove the boat is sailable. Must have the boat in water two times a year. They can work with folks who have illnesses or health issues that they can recover from.

Chris: I would like us to form a committee to write a policy to set up rules for maintaining boat. Jeff Butts, Pete Cookson, Grant Smith, have volunteered to be part of the committee. We should get other new members who might be younger to participate on the committee as well.

Tim Evans mentioned having spoken with new member who is a young married man who can say what they go for and what they don't.

Jeff: A lot of clubs have rules but can't enforce them.

Chris: I'm interested in having someone be a compliance officer.

Ruth: We want to avoid being too picky about people's boats.

Chris: The boat should be seaworthy with no trees growing through, no flat tires. We can help members either by maintaining the boat for them and having them pay a fee for that.

Pete: Need to identify criteria for developing policy.

Chris: We don't want to punish those who are taking care of their boats.

### **Family Fun Ideas**

Already covered above.

### **Sunken Boat**

Chris typed up letter to former member and owner of boat and shared with Grant Smith and Jill Reilly. Will send out the letter in a couple weeks via emails and to old house address. Left message with Paul Inge with Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries as well as with John Park the local guy. Carlos will cut up the recovered boat if needed. Letter addresses facts. Club voted to not allow him on premises going forward due to disregard for club, membership rules, and reservoir itself.

### **New Business**

#### **Discuss Opening Socials/Club Events to People on Waitlist**

Chris: I would like to start including members on waiting list to get them to come out here. Gives them the opportunity to see how club works. People have been positive about being invited.

Ruth: We always did invite people as guests.

Chris: They would be included in the email for the socials.

Dave Upton: Races are open to non-members even if they can't keep boat here.

Chris: We want members to come in and be active in first couple years.

Michelle: Invite them to specific events during the year so as to not be a negative thing for membership.

Chris: They can be guests of club.

Grant: Can a non-member sign up for social on website?

Chris: Not right now.

Pete: Downside is they don't have to sign up as members.

Chris: If name comes up on wait list and they don't join, then they can't come in the future.

Tim: Two to four socials in spring, summer, and fall.

Michelle: Major minor nonholiday perhaps.

Tim: It will cut down on admin.

Chris: Wild Apricot might be able to help.

Michelle: Right after sail camp might be strategic time. Capitalize on that interest.

Chris: Some have expressed interest in helping out on work days.

Dave: What happens if person gets injured?

Tim: Have them sign waivers.

Ruth: Might be a headache.

Grant: Waitlist member socials?

Jill: Some people sneak in by walking in.

Grant: Open-houses?

Chris: Forty people on wait list.

Mike Keeler: Does it get much bigger than that?

Chris: Number hovers to a high of 30-40/ year. Number could bump up.

Mike: Is liability addressed there?

Chris: Make sure to get the green checkmark once agreed to.

Dave: Can we table this? Need to communicate with Heather Reineke re pros and cons of this proposal. I will contact Heather about this.

### **Social Membership Language**

Jill: This was done last year but was not updated in bylaws, the Oct. 12, 2020, meeting. Needs to read that way on website.

Chris: Rules about storage on property are clear. What about social members launching kayaks?

Jill: Brought up last year by those who transitioned to social. Would bring kayaks but would not store here.

Chris: If they are member for 10 years, then there's no problem using a kayak.

Pete: I thought we discussed and decided they couldn't launch from club.

Ruth: How is a person kayaking if they are aging out of sailing?

Chris: If they aren't storing it but just bringing it, it's not a problem.

Grant: In most cases it's a non-issue. It takes good amount of time and energy to be in this club to do social membership.

Chris: We don't want a situation where people have their boats here forever but are not allowed to kayak.

Jill: We added that no type of boat storage would be allowed including kayaks, although they can launch in the club.

Ruth: There is a sticker issue.

Jill: I will reach out to Heather to ensure up-to-date bylaws are posted on site.

Chris: Stickers have numbers, but there can be dubious action on the part of certain members.

### **Sail Camp**

Dave: Any feedback from parents about the sail camps? There was one child who didn't like the sail camp for some reason.

Chris: Instructors are youthful and some are better with kids than others. A couple of girls got into a fist fight. Another girl got hit with the boom on her boat. She will, however, come back later in summer for another camp.

Jay Malcum: I really think we need to double or triple our liability coverage.

Chris: Dan Walsh is looking into.

Ruth: Should we send evaluations to parents after camps?

Chris: We have in the past but not sure about this year yet.

Michelle: We got feedback last year.

Jay: Various classes interacted differently.

### **Contacting the GRSA**

Grant: I was here the day before yesterday, and the phone was ringing. A man was asking about sail camp. The recording should be playing, "Go to website for information." Phone keeps ringing.

Chris: We need a message rerouting people.

Michelle: Charging station didn't work, but my daughter was able to fix it.

### **Adjournment**

Dave Upton proposed that the meeting adjourn.

Ruth McClintock seconded the motion.

All board members approved.

Motion was carried.

Meeting adjourned at 8:19 p.m.

### **Next Meeting**

August 12, 2021

Site: GRSA